Sunday, September 16, 2007

My First Gluten-Free Carrot Cake

As most of you know, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at the beginning of this year. This means pretty much all baked goods are out for me, unless you subtitute flour for five hundred expensive ingredients. I have never really tried to bake anything since then. J and I have mastered Gluten Free cooking, but baking is another challenge entirely. So last night I decided to tackle my first cake. I got out my recipe for carrot cake and J and I set off for Wal-Mart to buy our ingredients. Who knew nutmeg and ground cloves were so expensive! I think J about had a heart attack. So today I set all my ingredients out and realized we didn't have enough sugar. I went to Kroger, came home, and realized we didn't have enough carrots. So J went back to Kroger. An hour later, I have gluten free flour all over my kitchen but I have a perfect carrot cake cooling! I'm even making homemade cream cheese icing. Hopefully it will be edible and maybe even taste good. Hey, at least our house smells amazing!

Oh and mom - I turned out third bedroom into a den/craft room. I brought ALL of my Ethan Allen fabrics in here and have it all organized. I told J I want a sewing machine for Christmas. We'll see if he gets me one:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. Dad will be happy to sample any of your baking projects! I can't wait to see your craft room, and I think the sewing machine is a great idea.Go to allsorts-sewing blog and look at some of her projects to inspire you. Also Cath Kidston. I love her stuff. I enjoyed our phone chat. Miss you! Mama

Katie Yaeger said...

I love carrot cake!Send some my way:) I'm so glad you turned that room into something fun. How's the closet holding up:)? And Amen to the cost of spices:the smallest things in the store cost more than steak!